The tummy tuck, medically known as an abdominoplasty, is a very common procedure requested by both men and women. The goal of a tummy tuck is to flatten the abdomen area by removing excess fat and skin while tightening the abdominal muscles.
As with all cosmetic procedures, it’s important for potential candidates to be well educated. There are multiple variations of a tummy tuck, and a basic understanding of everything involved with the procedure can help prepare you for a consultation with a skilled plastic surgeon.
Types of Tummy Tuck
There are five main variations of abdominoplasty procedures that may be an option for you.
- Traditional. The most common form involves an incision from hip to hip, along with smaller ones around the navel. The procedure addresses the entire abdomen and is natural looking.
- Partial. This involves one small incision and less dramatic changes for patients seeking subtle improvements.
- Endoscopic. The plastic surgeon will use the aid of a tiny camera to assess your muscular structure, allowing for a more precise procedure that is less invasive overall.
- Extended. Along with focus on the abdomen, this procedure will reduce love handles on either side of the waste.
- Circumferential. For patients who have recently lost significant weight, this variation focuses on improving body contours by removing excess skin.
Recovery and Risks
Every case is different, and full recovery may take up to six months. However, most people are able to return to normal daily activity within a couple weeks while carefully monitoring progress to more strenuous activities. While rare, a tummy tuck has similar risks to other surgical procedures including blood clots, infection or swelling of the incision area. You should always follow care recommendations provided by your surgeon.
Cosmetic procedures can vary in cost depending on the individual, complexity of the procedure, and education and skill level of the surgeon. You should always seek a doctor you are comfortable working with and plan ahead for the expected cost of the procedure.
A tummy tuck can be a life-changing procedure, both in how you look and in how you feel in your daily life. If you think it may be the right choice for you, request a consultation with the expert team at J Hopkins online or call today at 972-298-6641.